Friday, August 11, 2006

FE's Dance Party 08-11-06: Funk and Big Strawberry Blond Dutch Girls with Horns

Yes, it's been that kind of week folks, so the afore-mentioned theme actually evolved quite naturally. Not to mention that 'Big Strawberry Blond Dutch Girls wirh Horns' could very well draw more hits than Vicus' reference to 'stilleto heels,' which is actually a rather frightening thought.

It was 1984, and my grad school colleagues couldn't keep from laughing ourselves silly at "Purple Rain" (the semi-thinking man's 'Rocky Horror Picture Show') On one night of drunken rage, a buddy decided he was quite capable of singing 'Jungle Love.' I decided at the same instant that I was capable of being his tubby white manservant Jerome, which thankfully only involved my removing someone's door mirror and a ridiculous moment of fully-clothed, non-erotic dancing and no toast or umbrellas or newspapers or water pistols.


A reminder why I quickly picked up on Parliament Funkadelic in high school:


Hey Ziggi, they're playing our song!


OOH! YEAH! UNNH!A little Ohio Players for da house!:


And lest you thought I was copping out on tonight's theme . . .


And . . . it shows how old I'm feeling that Candy looks more lifelike on stage than does Sheila E . . . .

Somehow I just never pictured the phrases 'North Sea' and 'jazz festival' together in the same string, but what the hey?

And to round out tonight's set:

12 Comments:

Blogger jromer said...

would have given ANYTHING to see you play 'jerome'

oh that song. still smile when i hear it. god, i remember thinking that movie was IT. then i grew up a little.

and whatever happened to candy?

7:41 AM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Somebody get me a mirror!

Awesome tunes...I thought that Morris stole the show!
Love Rollercoaster is da bomb dee da leetee dee tee dee tee!
George Clinton ..have you ever seen PCU with Jeremy Piven?
My daughters were spoon fed huge doses of Sheila E from birth and now they are both dancers. Tomorrow People is my Ziggy fave..don't know your past don't know your future. AWB was one of the best bands of that era..Work to do..I've got work baby...Now I have to go fire up the tunes...WooHoo!!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great collection of tunes.

Purple Rain is something, thankfully, I never subjected myself to.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

You really want to be a disc jockey, don't you?

4:43 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Not really. All I want to do is cast a pall over every piece of music that I can >B^D>

5:01 PM  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Sometimes I SOOOOO think I'm a black man in a white man's body, I love Jungle Love so much...

The beat, the funk, the soul, the jive...thanks, FE. Great way to kick off the weekend.

You are DJ-Fuckin'-Fronty.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Hey Jesse, n'now Jerome! Yay-es!

10:29 PM  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Hey...didn't you just become Sgt. Bilko? Is that his name? Is this the start of a new craze?

1:11 AM  
Blogger Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

A whole evening's entertainment there, FE. I'll work my way through the rest slowly, once I've got over the hot flashes induced by the Errol Brown clip.

I note from your profile a reference to the seminal Mel Brooks masterpiece "Blazing Saddles". A tour de force. More quotable quotes than Shakespeare. Riveting.

4:08 AM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Why, thank you ma'am. Just pass these clips out to the boys in lieu of pay.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Metro said...

So, FE. I stay offline for a day or two and you morph into Phil Silvers.

Are you celebrating something?

I can't admit to palpitations over the clips, but they're funky all right.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Hah! That's Joe Flynn, not Phil Silvers! Y'all need to go back and watch yer McHale's Navy reruns.

And thanks. Wasn't looking to provide great art, just decent house-brand funk. Sometimes we need the funk, gotta have that funk . . . .



We're gonna turn
This mutha
Out!

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home