Saturday, June 24, 2006

I steal only the best material . . .

I had to go in to work this afternoon and, on the return trip, had the pleasure of listening to 'Prairie Home Companion."

Linda Ronstadt and Ann Savoy performed a little duet that got me thinking about unusual covers of songs that actually made the originals fresh and worthwhile.

Ronstadt and Savoy's performance of "Walk Away Renee'" took away the schmaltz of the original Left Bank release.

A few years ago, I'd heard a bluegrass version of "Eleanor Rigby" that was even more haunting and lonely than what the Beatles had done.

And several years earlier, there was an all-woman accordion band's remake of Grand Funk's "We're an American Band." Yes, combine polka and 1970's rock and it wasa actually pretty fun.

And on a slightly diversionary note, this week's "Companion" had an interesting penguin knock knock joke

-Knock knock
-Who's there?
-Fornication
-Fornication who?
-Fornication like this, you really should wear a tuzedo.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a full-on country version of Dark Side of the Moon as well. And Dolly Parton doesn't do a bad job of Stairway to Heaven, a song which is possibly the single most overrated work of crap art in history.

There's a busker around here who plays "Inagadadavida" on bagpipes.

3:51 AM  
Blogger jromer said...

Someone covered Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden.
It sucked.
I am a big fan of Richard Cheese's album: Apertif for Destruction
You haven't lived til you heard it.

4:17 AM  
Blogger jromer said...

and i like the joke

4:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

loved the joke as well.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Well, I don't necessarily agree with penguins, but they have their social requirments and we all have ours.

Live and let live, I say occasionally . . . .

And welcome to my blog, Dyna.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Live the Cheese! I haven't heard him for a while, must go and find him again. Hayseed Dixie; like a drink and it shows but they're excellent. Maybe even more popular over here than there.

www.hayseed-dixie.com

9:24 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Okay, with a band name like Lounge Against the Machine, I find myself strangely intrigued with Richard Cheese.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Carmenzta said...

I once unknowingly bought a bluegrass instrumental version of Santana Abraxas. I later ran over the cassette several times with my Jeep.

10:00 AM  
Blogger jromer said...

bring the jeep over to los angeles, there's plenty of music i'd like you to uh, customize over here...

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the album Loungeapalooza. It has "Black Hole Sun" by Steve and Edie, PJ Harvey doing a Mel Torme song, and much other craziness. Actually, I love that version of "Black Hole Sun." But then, I'm a Wayniac.

7:18 AM  
Blogger jromer said...

oh wait. i'm not talking about that version. someone else covered it. okay, i take my 'ooops' back. whew! that was close!

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No sweat. When you appreciate songs as bad as Wayne Newton's "Love grows where my Rosemary goes" the way I do, you get used to the abuse.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Wayne Newton does Edison Lighthouse? Showing my age here, but that has to be way cooler than when Pat Boone did Metallica (covering songs, I mean)

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home