Friday, June 23, 2006

My God, it’s full of stars!

No, I didn’t take an Arthur C. Clarke vacation package. But it has been a long, strange two weeks since I spent a night on possum watch.

By the way, thank you all for the kind, tangentially polite and/or warmly smartassed comments during my absence.

The trip to Chincoteague was, for the most part, a nice Atlantic seaside vacation with the obligatory ponies, ducks, geese, Delmarva black squirrels, deer, mosquitoes, fellow tourists.

And then there was the baptism of the trolleys.

Yes, Chincoteague Island forged ahead on June 14 – a dreary, steadily rainy 24-hour period – with the welcoming of its two new tourist trolleys by immersing them with a spray of water from the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Department’s ladder-pumper truck. There will be a lengthier description of this event. I guess the CVFD has to have something to do when it’s not rounding up several dozen wild ponies for resale.

On the return trip, we stopped in Vienna, Va. to catch the D.C. Metro into our nation’s capital to peruse the Smithsonian. Complicating that expedition was severe overloading of the Orange Line due to a Saturday ball game between the Washington Nationals and the Yankees. As one of my acquaintances once put it so eloquently: “It’s a shame they couldn’t both lose.”

On my return to work this past Monday, I found my work computer’s hard drive shuffled off its mortal coil. Of course, this coincided with a rash of other network and accessory system failures designed to keep me from getting out a paper. Thanks to my reckless disregard for human life, however, we successfully defeated the electronic opposition and met our deadlines with time to spare.

I’m thinking of signing my department up as pirates off the Horn of Africa – I seriously think they could take on any three U.S. Navy warships and capture a prize worthy of their talent and similar lack of respect for humanity. Avast, ye scurvy dogs, heave to and prepare to be boarded!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Miss Cellania said...

Welcome home! Seems like you not only had a good time, but so much work on your return that you need another vacation..

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world needs more pirates. May I suggest your first strike be against Congress? Or Tricky Dick Cheney?

6:27 AM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Gotta have something of value to offer my crew, arrrrrrrrrrrr

6:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back!

"Avast, prepare to be boarded!"

If I had a dime for every time I've heard that line. :grin:

So, now we get the picture of you, yes? A promise is a promise!

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you can always reply with that time-honored order: "Stand by to repel boarders!"

Pic up in a bit

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home