Wednesday, November 01, 2006

and at Cherrypie's insistence, People Collection facts

I just about pulled a muscle trying to think of five facts about me, but here goes . . .

1) Despite being a professional journalist, I have never taken a journalism class in except for a school newspaper elective in seventh grade.

2) I met George McGovern when I was in grad school - it was pretty underwhelming.

3) I had a beer with Tiny Tim as he played and sang a few bars of "On the Trail of the Lonesome Pine." This was a year before he experienced a career resurgence as a Diet Pepsi spokesman and then died in his sleep. I wasn't around for that, however.

4)I started out my higher education career in pre-engineering with the idea that I'd join the Air Force as an electronic warfare officer in Wild Weasel flak supression aircraft. That career choice would have entailed being the willing target of surface-to-air missiles while having the attitude that I could spoof them with gear from the same company that made TI-30 calculators. Luckily I couldn't hack calculus, even with the help of a TI-55 calculator.

5) The index, middle and ring fingers on my right hand are parallel even when moderately splayed. This comes from having been an archery enthusiast in my teen years. I didn't have the wrist-finger coordination to use a hook-loop release and thus induced a minor deformity from having to shoot with a three-finger pull and release.

Cherry - I actually enjoyed this little exercise but I'll deny it up and down to everyone else ;^D>

20 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So you don't have a journalism degree. Huh. Who'da thunk it?

10:15 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

At the risk of the Columbia School of Journalism coming to burn down my home, my personal experience has been that journalism school has not been of help to the grads I've worked with in the business. And I'll probably go straight to hell for saying that . . . .

10:33 PM  
Blogger Martha Craig said...

I would like a picture of the dodgy hand.

I've come over all creepy lately.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I cannot help but wonder how history might have been altered if only George McGovern had learned to play Tip Toe Through The Tulips on the Ukulele?
OK Robin Hood we all want to see a scan of that hand!
..and Wild Weasel Flak sounds like some sort of hazing ceremony that you could expect to receive on your first night in Prison!

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am unconvinced by your protests of innocence over the demise of America's George Formby.
I will be contacting the feds.
Are there any other confessions that would save the efforts of the investigating authorities?
Where were you, for instance, on the day that Bette Davis died?
Do you have an alibi for James Dean?
Have you ever sat on a grassy knoll?

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what the fuck is a knoll anyway?

1:27 AM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

A knoll is that pile of dirt that the contractor leaves in the middle of a field after site preparation and which, while one haggles with said contrator, becomes covered with weeds, grass and other growth.

When Bette Davis dies, I was across the continent from her

And as for James Dean . . . You're tearing me aparrrrtttt! You say one thing, he says another, and everybody changes back again!!!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

FE, I've heard the same thing from my editors about going to journalism school. Odd that, eh?

I think it was vicus on the grassy knoll and I think he was holding a root vegetable.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Pamela - it was a concealed turnip.

Glad you enjoyed doing that, FE. I won't tell anybody x

4:52 PM  
Blogger Zig said...

Pammy 'holding' in what sense exactly? Not with his hands I feel - that's why, as CP rightly points out, it was concealed. Although I have it on good authority that this years turnips are parsnips.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

My word, Pam and Ziggi, have you no shame calling Vicus' root a vegetable?!!!!! God knows what you'll be saying about me next!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Zig said...

your next what?

6:42 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

I rest my case >B^D>

6:46 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

By the way, nice tortoise.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Despite being a "medical professional", I'm afraid of needles.......

10:44 PM  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Did Tiny Tim like your deformed hand and ask you to pluck a few with him on the uekele?

And as a journelizm gradjuate, I am appalled at yer lack of edjucation and yer remark

11:26 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Then you are one of the rare ones who seem to have done well in spite of it >B^D>

Get up with Columbia U's School of J and bring a torch, hee hee!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Divian said...

Well, wouldn't you know....I started my college education in psychology....and ended up in.....psychology.

And have yet to do a darn thing with it!

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FE, Pam, I want you to speak to the HR department at Canada.com, which owns ALL and I mean ALL of the media 'round these parts. They've told me point-blank they have a policy against interviewing anyone without a journalism/communication degree.

Fortunately, I think they'll fall for my "BA Journalism, MA, PhD Comparative Folklore, Miskatonic" ruse.

3:27 AM  
Blogger Zig said...

Fronty you're the Apple of my eye
You know how much I care
So Lettuce get together
We'd make a perfect Pear

::snort::

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home