Friday, August 18, 2006

FE's Dance Party, 08-18

I just found out I get to spend my Friday evening in beautiful downtown Wytheville, Va., so here's a late Dance Party.

I have to admit a small place in my black, evil editor's heart for vintage techno, so let's kick off this week's collection with a couple of oldies . . .


Kraftwerk, in deference to Wanda Harland


and Gary Numan


Now for tonight's main course: big horn bands of the 60's and 70's


Ignore the retro space video and enjoy The Ides of March


Chicago, without so much horn in it . . .


And proof that even the later Chicago lineups couldn't screw up a decent tune


Blood Sweat and Tears - I still groove on it


P Funk

And for dessert . . . . British girl singers!


It makes me feel very, very, very old to know this was big when I was 3. Even older when I remember liking hearing it.


Why more cowbell? How about more Petula?


And some Dusty - jeez this makes me feel older and older since I was 5 then


And to compound the feeling of shambling toward old age . . . Lulu.

8 Comments:

Blogger Miss Cellania said...

Oh no. You've revealed your age. You are younger than I am.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Not by much, I'm sure.

4:54 AM  
Blogger Divian said...

My mom loves Chicago. Growing up we had those speakers in the ceiling in every room. My mom had the master stereo in her room so everyday we were forced to listen to 'her' music. Pretty soon, it grew on me. I love everything 50's, 60's, and 70's. I love Connie Francis. I also like reading about the tragedies that were behind the music. Makes you realize that fame oftentimes comes at a price.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

One of the true social tragedies of the iPod - kids can go off and listen to their stuff and not realize how much of it was influenced by the music their parents listened to.

Part of the reason I have a weakness for big horn bands, strings and Brubeck-style jazz is because of my folks' record collection.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Divian said...

Well, I like Big Band music....Bennie Goodman being one I like a lot. Sing, Sing, Sing...couldn't get enough of playing that on my clarinet.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Make me feel old, whydontcha? My son played backup on it on the tuba last year. ;^D>

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those clips of Lulu and Pet Clark - they're in colour but appear to be from before we had colour TV here. Fascinating. I don't care what anyone says, Lulu, Pet Clark and even Cilla were great singers.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Kraftwerk, eeh they don't write them like that anymore. Class stuff.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home