Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A post-Memorial Day story, or . . . . Can’t beat that logic, it’d be hitting something stupid and defenseless

A week ago, I assigned one of my reporters to collect information for an advance on Memorial Day events and commemorations.

The public affairs person at one of our two Veterans of Foreign Wars posts said that they had nothing planned. Strange, but innocuous enough since the post was being reformed.

Forward to May 29: My other reporter is in a mad dash to get to the main office so we can get our paper laid out and to press early. What does he pass? The final seconds of the VFW post’s early morning Memorial Day flag and rifle salute ceremony.

Said public affairs person calls Tuesday and asks why we didn’t attend and if we could put something in the paper about it. He’s told that he said a week earlier that they weren’t doing anything.

Close paraphrase of his response: “Well, we weren’t sure we were going to do something and I figured I better not tell you until we did it.”

11 Comments:

Blogger Martha Craig said...

That's sweet. He didn't want you to be too disappointed...

4:02 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

I suppose I deserved that after a stream of bad battery factory jokes

4:28 PM  
Blogger tom909 said...

How the hell do you get your paper out on time when you spend all your time blogging. Don't get me wrong, I don't give a stuff about your paper, but I do enjoy all your bloggy one liners.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

gotta have someplace where I can print all the good stuff without getting fired.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You mean your paper would ::gasp!:: fire you for printing amusing little bits about the soon-to-be ex-McCartney? I'd think your publisher would want everyone to know the latest!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Martha Craig said...

You'll be pleased to know I've used one of your battery one-liners. I couldn't manage to squeeze in the Hoff, so I had to lighten it up somehow. Lead, for goodness sakes.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Martha Craig said...

I wanted to write goodnesssakes, and resisted for less than a minute.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Just take a moment, recharge and start up again

6:45 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Pam, my publisher has the sense of humor of a Southern Baptist at a dance.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a fungi!

11:14 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Oooohhhh

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home