Saturday, May 27, 2006

And now for eine kleine schlockmusik . . .

Today I had the experience of listening to the Dixie Chicks latest album release, “Taking the Long Way.”

As many of you all know, the Chicks encountered a rough career patch starting in 2003 when one of their number made a pointed comment or two about the National Command Authority.

That comment devolved into a public shouting match between the Chicks, country music singer/pickup truck shill Toby Keith and various radio stations and fans questioning various parties’ patriotic fervor.

Regardless of what if any position you might have taken regarding those events, the Chicks recently released a DVD purporting to state their positions and attitude about the last three years.

All I can say is: what an incredibly turgid, presumptuous, overblown, whiny collection of tuneage.

I found myself utterly unsympathetic, not with the Dixie Chicks’ stand on the public beating they’ve taken, but with a self-centered effort that focuses on their persecution and not on the general decline and fall of free speech and respect for political positions in the U.S. of A.

I can respect Toby Keith’s efforts in the last three years because they really had no pretense about what they were – cheap, pseudo sentimental rubbish with an eye toward selling records and Ford trucks.

If you want good pop, country or rock political statements, go buy a copy of John Mellencamp’s “Lonesome Jubilee” or “Scarecrow,” or pick up Springsteen’s latest folk collection.

And do yourself a favor - stay away from the Dixie Chicks and Toby Keith.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dang, I left you this incredibly poignant comment and then my wifi connection went kaput and it was gone.

It had something to do with music.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Somehow I'm betting I said something wrong

8:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Naw. I'm sure you're fine. Unless Heather McCartney reads your blog.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

How was Seattle?

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Dixie Chicks used to play competent but rather anodyne bluegrass styled stuff, I thought. The current playlisted thing could be something by anyone with a voice.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Seattle was lovely as always. Now that I live about fifty miles to the south of it, the place seems so much bigger somehow. We passed by the Pike Place Market for a bit and my children were enthralled by all the characters (read homeless people) walking around. They loved the street performers as well.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

That's why I always thought you meant Whidbey Island when you said 'outlying islands'

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home