Sunday, January 07, 2007

Does this compute?

Lemme tell you what fun is. Try switching from 14 years in a career based on words, wheedling info out of unwilling subjects, explaining complex situations in 20 column inches or less on deadline and generally living on everything that's bad for you to a whole new career based on logic.

That pretty much sums up the last four days as I try to comprehend two courses in UNIX/Linux programming and Java language. It's a hell of a shift in routine - kind of like popping the transmission in reverse while rolling downhill at 80 mph - but after a day of general frustration in getting the first assignments down, I kinda like it.

As I told my instructor in an e-mail today, I think I was having a liberal arts moment.

Who knows - after a couple of months of this, I may be writing my own template code. Or then again, I might not know my posterior from a hole in the ground which, by the way, is a comparative study course later in the program.

At least it keeps me from thinking too much about our not-so-esteemed president.

So, how are YOU doing?

12 Comments:

Blogger Martha Craig said...

You're so game doing all that crazy computer stuff. Good on you, I'm inspired.

I'm not bad. We're having a really crappy summer but at least we don't have a loony president ;-)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Martha - make me feel bad about my lack of leadership, whydontcha? >B^D>

Actually, it's a great change from dealing with publication deadlines, insane politicians, crazed readers and all the other fun parts of the 'ed' biz.

I see you got yourself an Ensign Expendable suit . . . .

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Metaphor, eh? An inauspicious start. You'll never be a techie until you start communicating in TLMs (three letter acronyms).

11:54 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Rain - Can't help it. It's the liberal arts major in me

11:14 AM  
Blogger Metro said...

Persevere, FE, persevere!

Java, from my limited experience, is just another language.

In fact, in the classes I took, it was easier to comprehend the Java code than to understand either of the Java instructors:

The first was a lovely Polish woman who was gamely trying to study English at night while correcting our work.

The second was a woman from the Shah's Iran who sounded little different from the Polish woman.

The textbook was a doddle, though.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I applaud you and your efforts to understand all that gobbledegook. I have dabbled in it a bit...and oh the headache!

::wild applause and cheering for you m'dear:::

3:03 PM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I am so jealous..as far as I can tell writing template code is akin to alchemy..how the hell the thingamabob knows what to do with all of the whatchamacallits is beyond me.
Your description of popping something into reverse while rolling downhill at 80 stirred up an uncomfortable image of my future in an old folks home...OUCH!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

I'm glad you are having fun with what you are doing, whatever it is!

Me, uh, I need a job. Almost have a resume ready, but its been so long since I've done one, I don't know what to put.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Metro said...

Try a section entitled "Miss Cellania is far too modest to mention:"
Her Nobel Peace Prize
Her seven Country Music Awards
That she has adopted more orphans than Angelina and Madonna put together
Her long friendship with Ban Ki-Moon
That she once arm-wrestled Chuck Norris with the fate of the world hanging in the balance, and was such a good sport that she put everything right back the way it was so that no-one would notice, even though Chuck Norris cheated.

--You'll be a shoo-off.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

But Ms C, you HAVE a job.....being the incredible Ms C!

I feel your pain FE. This stuff is greek to me......

9:29 PM  
Blogger Divian said...

Funny, I just finished writing html and css code for my spot.

Yes, I need a life.

1:30 AM  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

No, how are YOU doing?

I gotta make it back more often. Glad to see the transition isn't driving you too crazy.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home